About the Cashier Sales Assistant Volunteer role
Volunteer Manager: Shop Manager or Assistant Shop Manager
Available locations: Belfast Shop, Breaston Shop, Derby Shop, Eastleigh Shop, Leicester Shop, Manchester Shop, Nuneaton Shop, Rugby Shop, Wolverhampton Shop.
Commitment: Minimum two hours per week; we’d love it if you could do more. Shifts vary and can be between one and seven hours long. You can agree timings with your volunteer manager. Most of our Life Shops are open six days a week.
What you'll be doing
- Engaging with customers and serving them in a helpful and friendly way.
- Answering the telephone and taking messages.
- Communicating with other volunteers about what has sold and needs restocking.
- Honing your retail and cashier skills behind the till.
- Taking payments.
- Signing up new Gift Aid customers.
- Helping with administration and reception duties around the till.
- Promoting Gift Aid and sales campaigns.
As a way of saying thank you, all Retail volunteers get a 20% discount when buying items in our Life Shops.
What you'll need
- A friendly and helpful attitude.
- The ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Good listening and communication skills.
- Patience, sensitivity, and reliability.
- Previous customer experience isn’t required but is a bonus.
No formal experience is needed – we provide all the training!
What it’s like volunteering in our Life Shops
“I really enjoy my time in the Shop … everyone is so friendly and we get on really well.”
Life Shop Volunteer